1/9 Photos of Picnic Bread (From South Africa)
1 hr 25 mins
This is the perfect road food, fisherman's lunch, school lunch bread, breakfast ... I can't be without this recipe, given to me long ago by a friend. It definitely does not need butter -- just slice and eat. Please note that this does not pretend to be a low-fat recipe! It is meant for long days away from home, when one slice means sustenance.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder (not soda)
- 1 cup chopped spring onion
- 3 cups coarsely grated cheddar cheese
- 1 lb fairly lean bacon, chopped into smallish pieces (2 packets)
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt, such as aromat
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1Set oven on 350 deg F.
- 2Grease well 2 fairly small bread tins.
- 3Mix all the ingredients except the buttermilk. DO NOT fry the bacon: it goes in raw, chopped: it cooks in the baking process and adds to the flavour.
- 4Add JUST enough buttermilk to make a soft, almost sticky dough, as for scones. You may not even need the buttermilk, as the consistency will also depend on the size of the eggs used.
- 5Divide batter between the 2 tins.
- 6Bake about 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until a skewer comes out clean. Turn out and cool on a rack.
- 7It's going to be difficult to guess the servings, as the bread is rich and filling. When cool, wrap in foil and keep at room temperature or in fridge overnight (assuming you're going to use it on a trip of for school the next day).
- 8It freezes well.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Picnic Bread (From South Africa)
Serving Size: 1 (160 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 701.9
- Calories from Fat 444
- Total Fat 49.3 g
- Saturated Fat 21.9 g
- Cholesterol 281.7 mg
- Sodium 1089.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 28.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: