1/1 Photo of Picnic Basket Bread
My aunt has been making this wonderful bread for years. You can make it ahead and serve it cold. It makes a great appetizer, and is wonderful left over. It also travels well, and is a hit at pot-lucks!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2 1/2-3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 beaten egg white
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2Mix cheese, spinach, chicken, onion, and 1/4 teaspoon salt for filling.
- 3Set aside.
- 4Dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water.
- 5Mix yeast mixture, sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 cup flour in a mixing bowl.
- 6Gradually add 1 1/2 cups flour to dough.
- 7Knead dough until smooth, using other 1/2 cup flour if dough is sticky.
- 8Roll dough into a 16 x 10-inch rectangle.
- 9Spread filling down the middle of dough.
- 10Bring dough edges together and seal.
- 11Place seam-side down on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- 12Brush bread with egg white and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- 13Bake at 375° for 40 minutes.
- 14Serve warm, or cool and refrigerate.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Picnic Basket Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1182 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2520.1
- Calories from Fat 687
- Total Fat 76.3 g
- Saturated Fat 39.5 g
- Cholesterol 381.0 mg
- Sodium 4086.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 280.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.2 g
- Sugars 20.2 g
- Protein 173.4 g