My aunt has been making this wonderful bread for years. You can make it ahead and serve it cold. It makes a great appetizer, and is wonderful left over. It also travels well, and is a hit at pot-lucks!
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 beaten egg white
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Mix cheese, spinach, chicken, onion, and 1/4 teaspoon salt for filling.
- Set aside.
- Dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water.
- Mix yeast mixture, sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 cup flour in a mixing bowl.
- Gradually add 1 1/2 cups flour to dough.
- Knead dough until smooth, using other 1/2 cup flour if dough is sticky.
- Roll dough into a 16 x 10-inch rectangle.
- Spread filling down the middle of dough.
- Bring dough edges together and seal.
- Place seam-side down on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Brush bread with egg white and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake at 375° for 40 minutes.
- Serve warm, or cool and refrigerate.