Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
My aunt has been making this wonderful bread for years. You can make it ahead and serve it cold. It makes a great appetizer, and is wonderful left over. It also travels well, and is a hit at pot-lucks!
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 beaten egg white
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Mix cheese, spinach, chicken, onion, and 1/4 teaspoon salt for filling.
- Set aside.
- Dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water.
- Mix yeast mixture, sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 cup flour in a mixing bowl.
- Gradually add 1 1/2 cups flour to dough.
- Knead dough until smooth, using other 1/2 cup flour if dough is sticky.
- Roll dough into a 16 x 10-inch rectangle.
- Spread filling down the middle of dough.
- Bring dough edges together and seal.
- Place seam-side down on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Brush bread with egg white and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake at 375° for 40 minutes.
- Serve warm, or cool and refrigerate.
Tastes and looks amazing. It would be a nice present.
This is my go to picnic recipe. Its also awesome for the weekend when everyone is "grazing." It travels exceptionally well and is still good when only somewhat warm.
I made this for dinner tonight. Super easy to make, I used my bread maker for the dough, keeping an eye on the flour requirements as it mixed it, and pulling it out before the rise. I just put the ingredients in according to my manufacturer's directions. This is SO tasty and beautiful as well! I would give it more stars if I could.