Recipe by Mexikolla
Super Yummy & Good For You Bread! Even my picky boy eats this :) The spelt flour not only adds a unique nutty flavor but because of its high water solubility, its vital nutrients are quickly absorbed into the body. The Vital Wheat Gluten adds an extra punch of Vitamin C and protein (not to mention a prettier loaf). As a reminder-- Wheat breads need extra rising time, so make sure your bread doubles in size before punching it down and before sticking it in the oven. Prep time includes rise time.
- 4 cups unbleached bread flour
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 8 teaspoons vital wheat gluten
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup raw sugar
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter flavor shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl mix all the flours.
- Add all the flour EXCEPT 2 cups to your KitchenAid mixer.
- Add Salt, Yeast & Vital Wheat Gluten to mixer.
- Turn to speed 2 and mix for 30 seconds.
- In a saucepan or microwave safe bowl add milk, shortening, & Sugar. Heat to 120°F to 130°F.
- On Speed 2, slowly add warm liquid to flour mixture, mixing for about 1 minute.
- Still on Speed 2, add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough clings to hook and cleans sides of bowl, about 3 minutes.
- Knead on Speed 2 for 10-15 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover; let rise in warm place, until doubled.
- Punch dough down.
- Divide dough in half.
- Shape each half into a loaf.
- Place each loaf into a greased 8 1/2x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch bread pan.
- Cover; let rise in warm place till doubled, about an hour.
- Brush tops with milk right before you stick them in the oven to.
- Bake at 350°F for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.