Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
Okay, don't let the title scare you. THESE ARE GREAT appetizers even though the ingredients are a little strange. I make them all the time for almost any occasion which we need an interesting "snack". Kids really like them because of the pickles. Make sure that when you are rolling them up, that you roll tightly before inserting toothpick.
- 1 (32 ounce) packageof rectangular sliced ham (lunch meat)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened to room temp
- 1⁄2 cup picante sauce (works better if is not a "chunky" kind)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 (24 ounce) jars kosher dill pickles
- In medium sized bowl, combine the cream cheese, picante sauce and pecans; blending well.
- Take one slice of ham and spread a light layer of the cream cheese mixture onto the ham slice.
- Beginning at one of the short ends, place a pickle and roll up tightly.
- Once you get to the other end, place toothpicks in approximately 1/2 inch spaces.
- I use 5 toothpicks per rollup.
- Slice between toothpicks resulting in bite sized rollup.
- Refrigerate until time to serve.
While I do not eat these (not a big meat eater) I make them often for my friends and family as an appetizer. I add a bit of mustard (any kind works) into the cream cheese and spread that on the ham before rolling. This also works beautifully with pickled asparagus.
This was one of those that I had to try before writing it off completely. I used turkey and light cream cheese to make it a little healthier. It was wonderful! Thanks for the recipe!
I have to confess that the simple pickle, cream cheese, and ham roll ups happen to have been a favorite of mine for a long, long time. So of course, I loved these! They take the originals and take them to a higher level. I am so glad to be able to have yet another simple, easy to prepare in advance snack! Thanks! ZWT 3