My first year of college I waited tables in a small family owned restaurant. This was one of my favorite things offered on the salad bar. I was lucky enough to get the family recipe. I have never made it, but I sure ate a lot of it. The recipe says it makes 2 quarts, but that sure does not sound right to me unless those veggies shrivel up a lot!
- Put the squash in a large pot and salt heavily. Let stand for one hour.
- Drain the liquid from the squash. Take paper towels and wipe thoroughly until most of the salt is removed. Do not wash the squash!
- Prepare the brine and place in a large pot.
- Add the green pepper and bring to a boil.
- Add squash and onion.
- Return to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Put in jars leaving 1/2" headspace.
- Place lids, screw on bands finger-tight and process in a boiling water bath (5 minutes up to 1000 feet in elevation; 10 minutes from 1001 to 6000 feet; 15 minutes >6000 feet)
- Let jars cool; store in a cool, dark place.