1/1 Photo of Pickled Yellow Squash
2 hrs 30 mins
Texas Aggie Mom's Note:
My first year of college I waited tables in a small family owned restaurant. This was one of my favorite things offered on the salad bar. I was lucky enough to get the family recipe. I have never made it, but I sure ate a lot of it. The recipe says it makes 2 quarts, but that sure does not sound right to me unless those veggies shrivel up a lot!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups yellow squash, sliced thickly
- 2 cups onions, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 cup green pepper, seeded and cut into large chunks
- 1Put the squash in a large pot and salt heavily. Let stand for one hour.
- 2Drain the liquid from the squash. Take paper towels and wipe thoroughly until most of the salt is removed. Do not wash the squash!
- 3Prepare the brine and place in a large pot.
- 4Add the green pepper and bring to a boil.
- 5Add squash and onion.
- 6Return to a boil.
- 7Remove from heat.
- 8Put in jars leaving 1/2" headspace.
- 9Place lids, screw on bands finger-tight and process in a boiling water bath (5 minutes up to 1000 feet in elevation; 10 minutes from 1001 to 6000 feet; 15 minutes >6000 feet)
- 10Let jars cool; store in a cool, dark place.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pickled Yellow Squash
Serving Size: 1 (2551 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1385.2
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 70.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 339.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 318.1 g
- Protein 8.7 g