Recipe by winnyp63
This is a family recipe that has been handed down for generations. The best way to enjoy it is on a cracker with peanut butter and mayonnaise.
Top Review by Foggy Kitchen
I worked a different recipe and now make comparisons, comments. Salt shd be Kosher or Sea. Sugar best if brown (or mix). Vinegar can be strong tasting, and I suggest using a milder form, perhaps "house blend", lesser amt. and adding lemon juice for tart. I don't grasp using spice OILS, and suggest common powder or calculated whole spices - whether in bag or fished out. Final Result is sweet-hot "meat" (the white between the green and the red) to make finger food, sucking off like meat from a bone.
- 7 lbs watermelon rind
- 1⁄4 cup salt
- 1 quart water
- 7 cups sugar
- 2 quarts cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim dark green and pink from rind and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Soak overnight in saltwater 1/4 c salt to 1 quart water.
- Drain, rinse, cover in cold water.
- Cook just until tender, but not soft.
- Combine: Sugar, vinegar, oils.
- Heat to boiling.
- Pour over rind and let stand one night in refrigerator.
- Drain in a pan (2nd day) reheat solution adding 2 more cups of sugar.
- Pour over rind again and set another night.
- Repeat again 3rd day.
- On 4th day heat rind in the syrup add 2 more cups of sugar.
- Simmer until rind is clear.
- Seal in hot, sterilized jars.