36 hrs 30 mins
--Adopted Recipe-- I used to make watermelon rind pickle, but my recipe is in the group of my recipes that is "hiding" from me. I will try to figure out how much rind, but I am guessing it is the peeled rind of one melon, and have changed the directions to reflect this. I have also added the step of soaking overnight in salt water. Amount of salt is approximate, but I never made any kind of pickle without any salt, as this recipe originally was written. Everything in this recipe is subject to change when I find my recipe. I have simply made some changes to try to make the recipe a little clearer, because I don't want someone to waste time and ingredients on a recipe that really seemed to be missing some ingredients and some steps. Preparation time includes standing time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel the hard rind from the outside of the watermelon, and scrape off most of the pink from the inside. Chop into 3/4-1 inch pieces.
- 2Add salt to water and pour over watermelon rind in a large glasss or ceramic bowl. Soak overnight in the refrigerator.
- 3In the morning, pour off the salt water and rinse well.
- 4Add three pounds of brown sugar to the vinegar in a cooking pan. Bruise the spices, tie in a muslin bag and boil with the vinegar for five minutes.
- 5Then pour over the rind and let it stand twenty-four hours at room temperature.
- 6The next day, drain and save the liquid and, after heating it to a boil again, pour it over the rind again and let stand another twenty-four hours at room temperature.
- 7The last morning, bring to a full boil and boil all together for 10 minutes, then pour into sterilized jars and process according to the directions in a reputable canning guide.
Browse Our Top Melons Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Melons Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pickled Watermelon Rind
Serving Size: 1 (89 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 50
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 117.6
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 570.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 26.5 g
- Protein 0.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: