Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 36 hrs
Cook 30 mins
--Adopted Recipe-- I used to make watermelon rind pickle, but my recipe is in the group of my recipes that is "hiding" from me. I will try to figure out how much rind, but I am guessing it is the peeled rind of one melon, and have changed the directions to reflect this. I have also added the step of soaking overnight in salt water. Amount of salt is approximate, but I never made any kind of pickle without any salt, as this recipe originally was written. Everything in this recipe is subject to change when I find my recipe. I have simply made some changes to try to make the recipe a little clearer, because I don't want someone to waste time and ingredients on a recipe that really seemed to be missing some ingredients and some steps. Preparation time includes standing time.
- Peel the hard rind from the outside of the watermelon, and scrape off most of the pink from the inside. Chop into 3/4-1 inch pieces.
- Add salt to water and pour over watermelon rind in a large glasss or ceramic bowl. Soak overnight in the refrigerator.
- In the morning, pour off the salt water and rinse well.
- Add three pounds of brown sugar to the vinegar in a cooking pan. Bruise the spices, tie in a muslin bag and boil with the vinegar for five minutes.
- Then pour over the rind and let it stand twenty-four hours at room temperature.
- The next day, drain and save the liquid and, after heating it to a boil again, pour it over the rind again and let stand another twenty-four hours at room temperature.
- The last morning, bring to a full boil and boil all together for 10 minutes, then pour into sterilized jars and process according to the directions in a reputable canning guide.
Lots discoveries working this recipe! The results are sorta like chewing the meat off a bone! It's Southern comfort finger food to suck the meat (the white part between the red and the green) from the rind. (BTW I wear dentures) The amt of spices was huge,yet worked perfectly. The "sauce" is to die for! and I saved all extras for other sauce uses. I think use of brown sugar was significant. I'm still perfecting the right vinegar blend, as pure apple cider vinegar can impart a dominant flavor.
Amount of watermelon rind is not specified