Recipe by Suzie_Q
From Company's Coming. Can't wait to try this one! Prep time doesn't include letting fruit stand overnight.
- 9 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup coarse pickling salt
- 11 cups watermelon balls (or pieces)
- 5 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick, brocken up
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir water and salt together in a large bowl. Add watermelon balls. Cover and let stand on counter overnight. Drain. Rinse and drain again.
- In a large saucepan combine next 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add watermelon.
- Return to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon pieces.
- Pack fruit into hot sterilized pint jars to within 1 inch of top.
- Bring syrup to a full rolling boil on medium-high heat. Boila bout 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it thickens. Don't boil too long or syrup will start to caramelize and change colour. It will thicken a bit with a tinge of golden colour.
- Pour syrup over fruit to within 1/2 inch of top. Place sterilized metal lids on jars and screw metal bands on securely. For added assurance against spoilage, you may choose to process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.