Prep 15 mins
Cook 336 hrs
I didn't find these on here, and they were such a big part of my childhood, that I thought I should share. I don't think that we ever let a jar of these get all the way done, since they taste so good when they're still crunchy. Cooking time is pickling time.
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 lbs turnips, washed and quartered
- 1 small beet, halved
- Bring salt and water to a boil, remove from heat, add the vinegar, and leave to cool.
- Place turnips and beet in sterilized jar.
- Pour in salt water.
- Close jar tightly and leave in a cool, dark place for two weeks.
- Will keep 2-3 months in the refrigerator.
Thanks for posting your recipe. I enjoyed these turnips very much and they are so easy to prepare. I will be making this recipe for years to come. By the way, I have been rinsing the pickles in clean water then draining before eating. Without the rinse they were too salty for my taste but just perfect rinsed. Thanks again.