Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I always make this dish for holidays. If it was up to my kids they'd have this dish every week and once any guest tastes this they always want the recipe. Pickled turkeys are widely available in butcher shops in the Northeast U.S. The cooking of the turkey can be made the day before and the sauce made just before serving.
- 3 1⁄2-4 lbs corned turkey (pickled turkey roast)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Leaving the strings on, place the pickled turkey roast in clean water and bring to a boil. Lower the flame to low and cook for one hour.
- Pour off all the water and rinse the roast well.
- Refill the pot with clean water and cook again, this time for several hours until the roast is very tender (the roast should be nearly falling apart when you poke at it with a fork).
- Pour off all the water and rinse again.
- Now combine remaining ingredients in a pot and slowly heat up. When sauch is smooth add turkey roast, coating well on all sides.
- Serve hot and enjoy!