Prep 5 mins
Cook 168 hrs
I was astonished when I didn't find a single recipe for this traditional Basque appetizer.
- 1 beef tongue
- 3 cups vinegar
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar (to taste)
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon pickling spices
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 garlic cloves
- Boil tongue in salt water for 3 hours. Peel skin from the tongue.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a large, nonreactive pot and bring to a boil.
- Add meat and boil for 10 minutes.
- Cool and store in refridgerator for one week.
- Slice tongue thinly to serve.