Recipe by 12345678980123455677889
A Fantastic way to use up your abundant tomato crop! Use whole Cherry Tomatoes or Slice larger varieties to about 1 inch thick. Make sure tomatoes are stemmed and cleaned of any debris.
- 2 lbs tomatoes, any colour (mixed is nice)
- 10 -12 fresh mint leaves or 10 -12 fresh basil leaves
Sweet Vinegar Recipe
- 2 pints cider vinegar or 2 pints distilled malt vinegar
- 1⁄4 pint apple juice
- 1 tablespoon peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 3 chilies (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly prick each tomato in several places with a cocktail stick (skip this step if you are using sliced tomatoes).Arrange in a sterilised jar with the mint or basil.
- Pour in the Sweet Vinegar, making sure it covers the tomatoes by at least 1in (2.5cm). (Vinegar should be boiling hot.)
- Poke the tomatoes with a wooden skewer to ensure there are no air pockets.
- Weight down the tomatoes then seal using safe canning method.The tomatoes will be ready to eat in 4 - 6 weeks,but improve with longer keeping.
- To make Sugar Free Vinegar:.
- Put the vinegar and fruit juice in the pan, bring to the boil and skim well.
- Make a spice bag with remaining ingredients,add to the boiling vinegar mixture and boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove the spice bag,pour over tomatoes.
- NOTE: You can make this vinegar mix in larger quantities and it will keep for 2 years and can be used for loads of other things if sealed in hot sterilised jars.
- Cook time is actually time to preserve.