Recipe by Coppercloud
From B&G canning mag. You can use walla walla, vidalia or Maui onions for this recipe.
- 5 1⁄2 lbs sweet onions, 1/4-inch sliced rings
- 4 medium sweet peppers, 1/4-inch sliced rings
- 4 1⁄2 cups cider vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon anise seed
- 7 fresh bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- You should have 22 cups onion rings once all are sliced. You should have 6 cups pepper rings once all are sliced.
- In large pot, combine vinegar, honey, mustard seeds, allspice, and anise seeds. Bring to a boil uncovered for three minutes. Add onion rings and cook, stirring gentle for 8 minutes or until onion begin to turn limp. Remove from heat, stir in pepper rings.
- Add one bay leaf to each 1 pint hot sterlized jars. Using tongs, pack jars with onions and peppers, leaving 1/4" headspace.
- Ladle hot vinegar mixture into jars, leaving 1/4" headspace. Make sure bubbles are removed. Wipe rims and add lids.
- Process in water bath for 10 minutes. Start timing once water is boiling.