Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
Bread and butter type pickles made with yellow crookneck squash rather than cucumbers! You could use zucchini but the yellow squash looks so much prettier. A great way to use up that garden bounty and savor the taste of summer all year long! Can use all red or all green bell peppers if you prefer.
- Combine squash and onion slices in a large enamel pot. Sprinkle with the salt. Stir to mix. Let stand 1 hour.
- Add water to a water bath canner and allow it to come to a boil while you complete next step.
- Add bell pepper, vinegar, sugar, celery seeds and mustard seeds and stir to mix. Bring to a boil and then fill pint jars with squash mixture. Remove any air bubbles, wipe jar rims and screw on lid and ring.
- Place hot filled jars in rack and into the now boiling water.
- When water returns to a boil with jars in it, process for 5 minutes, or 10 minutes for altitudes of 1,001 feet to 6,000 feet. Over 6,000 feet, process for 15 minutes.
- When time is up remove jars with a jar lifter and place on counter to cool and finish sealing. Refrigerate any jars that do not seal.