Recipe by Mrs. Hughes
This in an Emeril Lagasse recipe. I love Emeril! This Pickled squash recipe is a hit with everyone I've given it to.
- 10 cups summer squash or 10 cups zucchini, sliced
- 2 cups onions, sliced
- kosher salt, for sprinkling vegetables
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons pickling spices
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot or bowl, layer sliced squash and onions, and sprinkle eash layer generously with kosher salt.
- Let sit 1 hour.
- In large pot combine vinegar, sugar, pickling spice, and crushed red pepper and bring to a boil.
- Add squash and onions and return to boil.
- Ladle vegetables and enough of the liquid to cover them within 1/2 inch into sterilized jars.
- Wipe rims and jars clean, and put lids and rings on jars.
- Process jars in hot water bath for 10 minutes.
- Remove jars from water bath and allow to cool.
- Any jars that do not seal should be refrigerated and used withing 2 weeks.