Recipe by Heather'sKitchen
After watching Paula make this on tv we decided to give it a try. The layers are beautiful in the glass jar. I think this would make a nice gift or an easy make ahead appetizer or snack.
Top Review by Krista Smith
I went on a pickling kick this summer and I should've stopped at shrimp. They're not BAD, per se, they're just... pickled. shrimp. They just didn't do it for me. This was super portable which was great for the picnic that I took it to but again... pickled. shrimp. I'd rather just eat them plain with some extra tangy cocktail sauce.
- 7 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 lbs unpeeled fresh shrimp
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- fresh ground pepper
- whole peppercorn
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Add the shrimp and cook until just pink, no more than 3 to 5 minutes.
- Drain well and rinse in cold water to prevent further cooking.
- Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails on.
- In a large glass airtight jar (about 1 1/2 quarts) layer shrimp and onions and top each layer with ground black pepper, peppercorns, bay leaf and clove of garlic.
- Keep layering until jar is about 2/3 full.
- Pour vinegar and lemon juice over layers until jar is almost full.
- Leave space at the top so you can gently shake jar to remixs ingredients.
- Seal jar tightly and chill for a few days up to 2 weeks.
- Turn jar upside down to remix every other day or so.
- Serve chilled as an appetizer.