Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
An all-time favorite tailgate and appetizer recipe, that can be made a day ahead. These disappear faster than free money! They can also be arranged in individual stemmed glasses and served as a first course. Cooking time includes 5 1/2 hours chilling time.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shrimp, fresh,raw,peeled
- 1⁄2 cup fresh celery leaves
- 1⁄4 cup pickling spices
- 1 quart boiling water
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons capers, with juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 5 whole bay leaves
- Tie celery leaves and pickling spices in cheesecloth or white cloth bag, making a spice bag that can be removed as needed.
- Place spice bag in boiling water and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add peeled shrimp (butterflied if desired) and cook about 3-5 minutes until shrimp just turn pink.
- Drain well.
- Discard spice bag.
- This can be done 1 day in advance.
- In large bowl, place sliced alternating layers of shrimp and onions, ending with shrimp.
- Top with bay leaves.
- Combine oil, vinegar, capers, celery seed, salt, and hot sauce.
- Pour over shrimp.
- Cover and chill 6 hours or overnight.
- With slotted spoon, remove shrimp and onions from marinate and place in serving bowl.
- Provide toothpicks for serving.