Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
From the Mobile Press Register, by way of my host Mother-in-Law. Time does not include marinating time.
- 2 lbs shrimp, cleaned and cooked
- 1 cup white onion, thinly sliced
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 cups salad oil
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (to taste)
- Layer shrimp, onion and bay leaves in a large, deep bowl that has a lid.
- combine all the saucy ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and immediately turn off heat.
- Allow to cool.
- Pour over the shrimp. Cover tightly and marinate for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
- Serve in individual dishes on salad greens or on a large serving platter.
This surprised DH. We thought this was a great dish to have around to snack on and have with dinner. I may try it with a bit less oil next round. Otherwise, the flavors are wonderful. I even enjoyed munching on the pickled onions much to the rest of the family's chagrin. I did make the mistake of not exercising patience. I put the marinade over the shrimp before it was totally cooled. This resulted in twice-cooked shrimp that were a bit chewy. I'll have more patience next time. (Maybe next week for at the beach house!) Thanks for posting! Reviewed for PAC Spring '09