Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this recipe years ago on Epicurious and have served it as a side dish for Christmas dinner every year since. It is also great for cocktail parties. Even my shrimp hating SIL loves these! **Don't let the long list of ingredients put you off. It really goes together quickly.
- 3⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coarsley ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp
- 1 medium onion, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 lemon, slice thin
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill or 2 tablespoons parsley
- Whisk the first 8 ingredients together (vinegar through coriander) and add oil in a stream.
- Whisk until emulsified.
- Stir in garlic and bay leaf.
- Cook shrimp in boiling water one minute.
- Shell and devein and add to marinade.
- Let cool and stir in onion and lemon. Marinate covered and chilled 12-24 hours.
- Garnish with dill or parsley.
- Serve icy cold in a glass bowl or in martini glasses for individual servings.
I'm a big fan of lemon pepper so substituted that in place of the S&P when I doubled this recipe, but otherwise followed the ingredients & directions right on down! I marinated the shrimp for almost 26 hours & served the VERY TASTY BUGGERS as finger food for a group I host ~ A big hit & most enjoyable! Thanks for a great keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe tag]