Recipe by English_Rose
This recipe combines shallots, garlic and balsamic vinegar to make a flavourful relish, delicious with cheese or cold meats. Time does not include salting and cooling.
- 2 large heads of garlic
- 2 ounces salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 lb shallot, peeled and left whole
- 1 quart cheap balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soft brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pickling spices
Directions See How It's Made
- Separate the garlic into individual cloves. Peel each garlic clove, leaving it whole.
- Mix the salt and the cold water together in a large bowl until the salt has dissolved, making a brine solution.
- Place the onions and garlic in the brine and leave for 12 hours. Rinse and pat dry.
- Place the onions and garlic, mixed together, in sterilised bottles or jars.
- In a non-reactive pan, heat together the balsamic vinegar, sugar, bay leaf and spices and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain and cool.
- Pour the spiced vinegar over the onions and garlic covering them completely. Cover the bottles or jars and leave for 3 months before using.