Recipe by Sharon123
This is good over salads, as an appetizer, with meats and rice. Adapted from Cooking with Two Hot Tamales Cookbook. Enjoy!This is French and also Spanish!
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 20 medium shallots, peeled
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the vinegar, wine, sugar, peppercorns, mustard seeds, red pepper flakes, and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Stir over low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Add the shallots and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook 5 minutes. Set aside to cool completely in liquid.
- Transfer the shallots and all liquid to a jar or plastic container. Cover tightly and store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.