Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Any leftover onions would be delicious layered in a chicken, turkey, pork, or roast beef sandwich. From Bon Appetit, January 2010.
- 1 large red onion, halved through core, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 cinnamon stick
- Place onion slices in medium bowl.
- Bring next 5 ingredients to boil in heavy medium saucepan; pour over onions in bowl.
- Cover; cool to room temperature.
- Chill overnight.
- DO AHEAD: Can be made 3 weeks ahead. Keep chilled.
- Drain before serving.
Great onions! They pack a nice punch of flavor, great alone or complimenting other foods. Thanks for sharing! Culinary Quest '14
Spot on! These are great and so easy to do. I told DH that they keep for 3 weeks and he looked at me picking at the bowl and said "Not likely". lol. I'm going to hide them at the back of the fridge because I know that they will just improve over time. Thanks for posting! Made for Culinary Quest 2014
Delish! Love the marinating liquid and red onions are my absolute fav. I had to use a mix of white & black peppercorns which also had allspice added to them. Along with the cinnamon, it will be a great flavor combination. Made for the Culinary Quest - Russia 2014.