Recipe by caetb
These onions are a great condiment with salads, burgers, chicken... It also makes a great starting point for all kinds of salads: bean, pasta, vegetable... Use your imagination. From the Moosewood Cookbook.
Top Review by Emma P.
This recipe is amazing. I've made the original recipe (and loved it), but I recently made it with white onions and curry spices and it was incredible. I toasted the peppercorns in a dry pan with cardamom puds, coriander seeds, and black mustard seeds, and then added them to the onions with turmeric powder and thinly sliced Thai chili. Recommended and really easy to make it your own.
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 4 medium red onions, sliced very thinly
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a kettle of water to a boil.
- In a bowl, combine the vinegar, water, sugar, salt and pepercorns.
- Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Place onion slices in a colander.
- Pour boiling water over the onion slices and drain well.
- (This wilts the onions slightly and allows them to absorb the marinade).
- Transfer the onions to the bowl with marinade and mix to coat the onions thoroughly.
- Cover and marinate several hours or overnight in the refrigerator.