This heirloom recipe used a method no longer in common practice, so I have included more modern directions. From the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1HEIRLOOM DIRECTIONS: Sprinkle cabbage generously with salt.
- 2Set aside in a cool place to stand for 30 hours.
- 3Drain all moisture from cabbage, place in the sun and allow to remain for several hours.
- 4Combine vinegar, sugar, celery seed, pepper and spices; boil together for 7 minutes and pour over the cabbage.
- 5Fill crocks, cover and store in a cool place.
- 6MODERN DIRECTIONS: On the third day drain cabbage well; squeeze dry in towel.
- 7Place in canning jars.
- 8Combine remaining ingredients in large saucepan.
- 9Bring to boil; cook, stirring, 7 minutes.
- 10Cool; pour over cabbage in jars.
- 11Cover; refrigerate.
- 12Allow to age 3 days before serving.
- 13Will keep 6 weeks in refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pickled Red Cabbage
Serving Size: 1 (3158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 278.6
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2413.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 36.1 g
- Protein 4.3 g