Recipe by khah
use the leftover sweet and sour red beet juice syrup to make "red beet eggs": poor 2 1/2 c cooled syrup over 6 peeled hardboiled eggs and let them soak overnight in the refridgerator. yum yum!
Top Review by Rinshinomori
Very clean tasting excellent recipe for pickled beets. I scaled the recipe to make for only 4 beets and 3 boiled eggs. Because of the smaller amount, did not follow the procedure for canning and instead are kept in the refrigerator. I think the addition of cloves and cinnamon sticks is important in bringing out the taste here. Also added half sliced yellow onion. Brings back memories of my childhood days living in Amish area. Thanks for posting this recipe khah.
- 20 medium red beets
- 2 1⁄2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 cups beet juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 10 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
Directions See How It's Made
- scrub beets and remove tops.
- Cook beets until tender.
- Drain and reserve beet juice.
- Remove skins and cut beets into chunks.
- Combine vinegar, juice, sugar,& spices.
- Bring to a boil. Remove spices. Add beet chunks and boil again. Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal.