Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I grew up eating these but did not like the ones I could buy at the store.I finally found a recipe in an old James Beard cookbook at my local library so I could make my own.I use raw pork hocks instead of pigs feet because they have more meat in them.
- 2 quarts water
- 2 carrots
- 2 onions
- 1 teaspoon thyme (dried)
- 1 bay leaf (whole)
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 12 whole black peppercorns (crushed)
- 6 pig's feet (split)
- white wine or cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 onions
- In a large stock pot or other large pot,put first 8 ingredients in the pot.Cut onion into pieces.Also cut carrot into pieces.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the pigs feet to the seasoned water.
- Simmer pigs feet for 3-4 hours.
- When time is up remove pigs feet and let cool enough to touch.
- When cool put them in a bowl or canning jars.
- with 2 sliced onion and 2 cloves sliced garlic divided between them(Garlic can be omitted if you dont like it) and any seasoning you want to add.
- Heat white wine or cider vinegar and pour over pigs feet so they are covered completely.
- Refrigerate for 3-5 days before eating.
- Keep any left overs refigerated.