Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I use whatever peppers I have in the garden, usually banana, green, yellow, red, salsa and Hungarian. The more color the prettier.
- 6 lbs of assorted sweet peppers
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 3 teaspoons canning salt or 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- Wash and core peppers. Cut in halves, strips or rings. I like the halves for easy sandwich making and the rings for pizza.
- In a large pot combine sugar, salt, vinegar and water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the peppers and return to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Put 1 clove of garlic into each clean, hot, sterilized pint jar.
- Fill with hot pepper and vinegar mixture to within 1/2 inch of top.
- Remove bubbles with a rubber spatula.
- Wipe rims clean.
- Screw on hot, clean lids and rims.
- Place jars in a boiling hot water bath for 5 minutes. Do not overcook or you will have soggy peppers.
- Remove from hot water bath and place on towel on counter.
- Allow to cool - do not retighten tops. They will pop when sealed.
- I use a small fan to cool quicker.