Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
From B&G canning mag. This is for whole pear or cherry tomatoes. You can use sliced but they do not look as pretty.
- 1182.95 ml tomatoes, pear or 1182.95 ml tomatoes, cherry
- 236.59 ml sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2.46 ml red pepper, crushed
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 532.32 ml white balsamic vinegar
- 177.44 ml water
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 44.37 ml pickling salt
- 14.79 ml fresh rosemary leaf
- 2.46 ml whole black peppercorn
- 2.46 ml whole pink peppercorns
- 2.46 ml whole white peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- Wash tomatoes. in large bowl combine tomatoes, onion, red pepper and garlic, toss to combine. Set aside.
- In large none reacting pot combine vinegar, water, sugar, salt, rosemary, all peppercorns and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissoved. Reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Stirring often.
- Remove from heat and discard bay leaf.
- Pack tomatoes into hot sterilized 8 oz jars. Leaving 1/2" head space.
- Pour HOT vinegar mixture over tomatoes, leaving 1/2" head space. Remove any air bubbles in jars, wipe rims and add lids.
- Process filled jars for 15 minutes in water bath.
I only had red balsamic. Made them anyway. To me they are a bit "watery." That might be an indication of the tomato not the recipe. A good friend likes them and took them home.