Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Eat these bad boys right out of the jar,or use them in your favourite shellfish recipes.
- mussels (or just about any other shellfish) or oyster (or just about any other shellfish)
- 10 ounces white vinegar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon clove
- 1⁄2 tablespoon allspice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon red pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cracked whole mace
- bay leaf
- lemon slice
- Prepare the shellfish first by scrubbing shells.
- Steam the shellfish just enough so that the shells become open.
- Strain the liquid from steaming and cool in the refrigerator.
- Remove the meat from the shells.
- Put all the ingredients (except the bay leaves and lemon) in a large pan, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Leave to cool.
- Pack the cooled meat into sterilized jars, adding a bay leaf, some cloves and a slice of lemon to each jar.
- Pour the cooled vinegar mixture over the meat to cover.
- Seal firmly and store in the refrigerator.
I did clams and mussels together. Delicious! (added some steamed broth to the vinegar mixture to tone down the strong flavour.) CIZ