Prep 3 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is one of the simplest side salads to accompany an Indian meal. It is made fresh almost everyday in every Indian home. It can be used as a garnish on many Indian curries, specially spicy chat foods. All amounts are approximate.
- 1 medium red onion
- 1⁄2 cup good quality malt vinegar (You can also use fresh lime or lemon juice instead)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 1 chopped green chili (optional)
- Peel and shred onion into thin slivers.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Serve on the same day.
I have a similar recipe from Madhur Jaffrey; minus the coriander and green chilis and I used fresh lemon juice. These are delicious. They are best if allowed to marinate for at least an hour before serving. They can be kept in the frig for a few days.