Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 pickling onions
- 1 cup pickling salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 cups white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons white mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons horseradish or 2 tablespoons peppercorns
- hot red pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Scald the onions for 2 minutes in boiling water, dip into cold water and peel.
- Sprinkle the onions with the salt, add cold water to cover, and let stand for 12 hours or overnight.
- In the morning, drain the onions, rinse them in cold fresh water and drain again.
- Combine the sugar, vinegar, mustard seeds, and horseradish or peppercorns, bring to a boil, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Pack the onions into clean jars.
- Add 1 small hot pepper and 1 bay leaf to each jar, fill the jars with boiling-hot liquid and seal.
- You can also add 6 T whole allspice or 1/4 c mixed pickling spices for interesting variations.