Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
this lasts several weeks refrigerated, and makes a nice condiment to steaks
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon toasted cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 red onions, cut in chunks
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- bring vinegar, cumin, salt and sugar to a boil in a saucepan, then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes add onions,simmer for 2 minutes more.
- transfer to a bowl, stir in cilantro.
- this tastes better after it sits for a few days or more, covered and refrigerated.
Yum yum! These make great munchies! I didn't have whole cumin seeds so used ground and toasted it in the frying pan. I also added fresh cut parsley. Thanks chia!
These onions are scrumptious. The combo of the vinegar, sugar, cumin and salt give them a wonderful flavor. I added them to our salad tonight and they were great but I also think they'd be a terrific addition to a pasta salad. Thanks chia for another great recipe!
I had some delish pickled onions served with tuna salad at a Gulf Coast restaurant recently, and this didn't quite match the taste I was looking for... it was too sweet. Also, I definitely had to air out the kitchen after boiling cider vinegar. Sheesh! Even 12 hours later, the smell lingered. It also lingered in my fridge, since I didn't put it in an air-tight container.