Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 4 quarts white pickling onions, peeled ((4 L) small)
- 1 cup salt (1/4 L)
- 2 quarts white vinegar (2 L)
- 2 cups sugar (400 g)
- 1⁄4 cup mustard seeds (1/2 dl)
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- white peppercorns
- bay leaf
- pimiento, slices
- Sprinkle the onions with the salt. Cover with cold water and let stand 6-8 hours or overnight. Rinse thoroughly with cold water, and drain well.
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, mustard seed, and horseradish in a pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Spoon the onions into hot, sterilized jars, adding a few peppercorns, a bay leaf, and some pimiento slices to each jar.
- Pour the boiling hot vinegar mixture over the onions, leaving 1/4-inch headspace, and seal.
- Or close the jars and process in a boiling-water bath for 10 minutes.