1/1 Photo of Pickled Onions
I don't remember where I got the bones of this recipe but I've adaptad it to my taste. I love spicy food so I always use lots of red pepper flakes but feel free to use a little or none!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Using a VERY sharp knife slice the onions as thin as you are able.
- 2Place the sliced onions into a bowl and set aside.
- 3Use only FRESH lemon juice. Usually 2 medium lemons will have plenty of juice. Squeeze the lemons until you have 1/4 cup juice. Discard the seeds and pour juice into a small bowl. Add the vinegar to the lemon juice.
- 4Sprinkle the onions with salt and red pepper to taste.
- 5Pour the lemon/vinegar mixture over the onions and gently toss with your fingers until all the onions are wet and the salt and red pepper is evenly distributed.
- 6Cover the bowl and allow to sit at room temperature for about 45 minutes. The onion will turn bright pink and decrease in volume.
- 7Taste an onion slice. When it's zingy and crunchy and yummy serve with your favorite dish.
Browse Our Top Garnishes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pickled Onions
Serving Size: 1 (38 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 13.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 73.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 0.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
seasoned rice vinegar