Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
For the small group of people left that like to can.
- 3 cups apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons pickling salt
- 4 lemon slices, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons mixed pickling spices
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 lbs okra, washed and stemmed
- Clean and sterilize canning jars according to safe practice canning standards.
- In a saucepan over high heat add the cider vinegar, water and pickling salt. Stir to dissolve the salt and bring to a boil.
- In each sterilized jar place one lemon slice and 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spice. Pack in the okra, pointy end down. Then a second layer of okra with pointy end up, maximizing the amount of okra in each jar. Slip a clove of garlic into each jar.
- Pour the hot brine into each jar up to 1/2 inch from the rim, gently tapping each on a surface covered with a dish towel. Using a wooden skewer or chopstick, gently release the air bubbles. Remember, okra is hollow and trapped air is inevitable. Refill with brine as necessary to 1/2 inch from the rim. Wipe rims with a clean cloth.
- Place sterilized lids on top of each jar and screw rings just to fingertip-tight.
- Process jars for 10 minutes in a water bath according to safe canning practices. Longer for higher altitutes.