Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 48 hrs 5 mins
If you like Herring you will absolutely go crazy with this. It's reasonable, wonderful and you will never tell the difference. Will swear you are eating herring. Enjoy
- Use Northern filets and cut up into bit size pieces.
- Soak in salt water, add enough salt to float an egg, soak 24 hours.
- Wash with cold water, cover with white vinegar and soak 24 hours, drain put up in alternate layers of fish and sliced onions, in quart jars.
- Make a syrup as above.
- Boil the syrup 5 minutes.
- Cool syrup and add 1 cup Muscatel Wine.
- Pour over fish and let sit in refrigerator for 3-4 days.
This is the perfect recipe for those pesky northern pike that eat your bait but are too small to fillet. Cut the pieces like cutting up celery and use them. The white vinegar will dissolve the bones.