Recipe by Nolita_Food
Vietnamese pickles, "dua cai chua" it's called. You can eat it with just about anything. Especially popular in the summer when it's too hot to cook. Taste amazing with glazed pork chops.
Top Review by Well-Aged Cooky
This is a great recipe! I make the same thing, sometimes with some hot pepper flakes or cayenne pepper thrown in for heat. They taste sooooo good! Fermented veggies are very healthy, so it's a win-win situation. lol, I have to go out and get some mustard greens tomorrow, I need a fix!
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut mustard greens and scallions into 1 1/2 inch lengths.
- Wash well and let them dry in the sun for a day, or till when they look dry and shrunk a little (in Hanoi, that might take only 4 hours in June:P).
- Combine water, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- Put in greens and scallions.
- Use another bowl or chopping board (anything heavy) to keep the vegetables submerged in the water.
- Cover bowl and put in a warm place for 2-3 days.
- Afterwards, transfer into a jar and refrigerate.
- It can last for a good 3 months in the refrigerator.