Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Vietnamese pickles, "dua cai chua" it's called. You can eat it with just about anything. Especially popular in the summer when it's too hot to cook. Taste amazing with glazed pork chops.
- Cut mustard greens and scallions into 1 1/2 inch lengths.
- Wash well and let them dry in the sun for a day, or till when they look dry and shrunk a little (in Hanoi, that might take only 4 hours in June:P).
- Combine water, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- Put in greens and scallions.
- Use another bowl or chopping board (anything heavy) to keep the vegetables submerged in the water.
- Cover bowl and put in a warm place for 2-3 days.
- Afterwards, transfer into a jar and refrigerate.
- It can last for a good 3 months in the refrigerator.
This is a great recipe! I make the same thing, sometimes with some hot pepper flakes or cayenne pepper thrown in for heat. They taste sooooo good! Fermented veggies are very healthy, so it's a win-win situation. lol, I have to go out and get some mustard greens tomorrow, I need a fix!
Sounds so yummy. Reminds me of times when I was little and my mom gave it to me to eat with congee!!!