Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
I was looking for a recipe for pickled mushrooms that tasted like the ones you buy in the grocery or liquor store. The type used in cocktails. Came across this one from Morton Salt. I haven't tried it yet. http://www.mortonsalt.com/recipes/RecipeDetail.aspx?RID=38
- 3 lbs mushrooms (1 to 2 inches in diameter, commercially grown)
- 2 1⁄2 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons morton canning & pickling salt
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 5 garlic cloves
- Trim off stem ends of mushrooms. Wash mushrooms in cool running water. Drain.
- In large pot, combine vinegar, water and salt. Heat, stirring to dissolve salt. Add mushrooms. Heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer mushrooms in brine for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. Pack mushrooms into sterilized half-pint jars. To each jar add: 1 tablespoon onion, 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns, and 1 clove garlic. Fill jars with hot brine, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles using a non-metal spatula. Wipe rims of jars and adjust lids. Process for 20 minutes in a boiling water bath.
- NOTE: If mushrooms are large (2 inches in diameter), 1 to 2 more sterilized pint jars may be needed. Use additional spices as needed for each jar. Processing time above is for less than 1000 feet. For altitudes of 1000-6000 feet, process 25 minutes; above 6000 feet, process for 30 minutes.
If I had ten thumbs they would all be up. Quick, easy & delicious. I sell at farmers markets & this will be a great addition to my table.
The recipe is great and easy. I let mine sit for a week so all the flavor will marinate properly. My sister suggested using pints instead because we are mushroom lovers.
These pickled mushrooms were really good but next time I will not use as much vinegar. So easy to make. I will try these again for sure. Thanks for posting Bonnie. Updated: I tried these about 2 hours after making and thought the vinegar was too much but after sitting in the refrigerator over night all ingredients melded together and the taste was just right wouldn't change a thing. I've already ate one jar by myself.