- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 3 cardamom pods, crushed
- 3⁄4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (1/2 a lemon)
- kosher salt
- fresh gingerroot, peeled and sliced thin (6 slices)
- 2 dried arbol chiles
- 2 mangoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch thick wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, heat cinnamon, cumin, peppercorns, and cardamom over medium low heat, until fragrant, about 4 minutes.
- To make the brine: In a saucepan, combine vinegar, water, sugar, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of salt, ginger, chiles, and the toasted spices; bring to a simmer and cook, stirring to dissolve the sugar, about 5 minutes.
- Pack the mango into a quart jar, pour the brine over, and let cool.
- Cover, refrigerate overnight or up to 1 week.