Prep 10 mins
Cook 96 hrs
I'm just a pickle lover and made this recipe years ago by trial and error!
- 1 firm cabbage (Red or white, each has its own unique subtle flavour)
- 1⁄4 kg sea salt
- 1⁄2 head garlic
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons ground red chili pepper
- 2 tablespoons ginger powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 cup tomato juice
- Thin slice the cabbage.
- Put a layer into a plastic bowl, then sprinkle with salt, repeat until all the cabbage and green onion is covered with salt.
- (leave for approx 4 hrs).
- Put garlic, chilli pepper, ginger powder and onion powder.
- into liquidiser, add tomato juice.
- After 4 hours the cabbage will be saturated with water (the salt dehydrates the cabbage, i.e. removes the liquid from the cabbage).
- Wash the cabbage 3 times in fresh water, shake dry!
- add to the garlic/tomato mixture.
- The dehydrated cabbage will then absorb this wonderful chili/garlic flavour and believe it or not it is ready to eat the next day!