Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
A zingy condiment perfect for any beef dish. Make sure and protect your eyes when shredding the horseradish (you may want to do this outside). From the Complete Book of Pickling. Yield is approximate; cooking time is processing time.
- Prepare 4 half pints or 8 - 4oz jars and their lids/rings.
- In a non-reactive saucepan, combine the first three ingredients.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring often until sugar and salt are dissolved.
- Add horseradish and return to a boil, keeping horseradish immersed in liquid; remove from heat.
- Pack hot horseradish and liquid into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace by adding the hot liquid.
- Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace as necessary.
- Wipe rim; place lids and screw bands on fingertip-tight.
- Place jars in water bath canner and return water to a boil; process for 10 minutes.
- Remove jars from water and place on a cloth-protected counter to cool overnight.
- Check lids for seal; refrigerate or re-process any unsealed jars.