Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Pickled Herring in Sour Cream -- This recipe could be used as part of a 12- course meal known in Polish as Wigilia, or on its own. Wigilia is eaten after sundown on Christmas Eve.Serves 4-6.
- 6 pickled herring, drained
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 6 eggs, peeled and chopped (hard-cooked)
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill or 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Cut herring into small cubes.
- Mix herring with onion, eggs, apple and lemon juice.
- Combine sour cream, garlic, salt and pepper; add to herring mixture and mix well.
- Sprinkle with dill or parsley. Serve with rye bread.