Recipe by pammyowl
If you like pickled herring, try this refreshing salad!
Top Review by twissis
Made as written for ZWT-9 & a fellow Goddess, this recipe was reduced to 2 servings - BUT DH is not due home from a fishing trip until tomorrow night & his portion may disappear. Most people have a love or hate relationship w/herring, but this salad is so good that it could turn haters into lovers. I esp liked the veggie mix I had never eaten w/herring before & the sweetness the sugar added. Every piece of the recipe works to its advantage. Do not skip the chill time as it does enhance the flavors & I suggest draining the liquid from the salad prior to serving. Thx for sharing this sure-to-be-repeated recipe w/us. Yum!.
- 4 seedless English cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 (12 ounce) jars herring fillets, pickled in wine sauce (such as VitaR)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cucumbers, tomatoes, and onion in a large glass mixing bowl.
- Stir vinegar and sugar together in a small saucepan over medium-low and bring to a boil; cook and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour over the vegetable mixture. Marinate mixture in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Stir the reserved liquid from the herring into the vegetable mixture. Fold herring into the vegetable mixture. Refrigerate 1 hour more before serving.