Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
When my mom passed at 94 she took Nana's recipe for pickled herring to the grave. She taught me to soak and filet the salt herring, but ran me out of the house when the pickling solution was prepared. This is as close as it gets. If you have a variation with these ingredients please email me! T.J.
- 6 soaked salt herring fillets
- 4 ounces apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 7 ounces water
- 2 teaspoons peppercorns
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon allspice berry
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- Mix the vinegar, sugar, water and spices in a pan.
- Bring to a boil and cool completely.
- Cut the soaked and desalted fillets into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Thinly slice the red onions and toss with the herring.
- Pour over the pickling solution and let sit overnight before your first nibble.