Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A polish recipe. My Mom makes for Cristmas Eve. Just be sure to change the water while soaking. On New Years Eve after the toast it is Good Luck to have a bit of Herring.
- 2 lbs salt herring fillets
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1⁄4 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dill seed
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 red onion
- Soak the fillets in a bowl of cold water in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours.
- Change water twice.
- To make the pickling solution, combine water, vinegar, seasonings and sugar in a saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Stir to dissolve sugar; let cool.
- Rinse the fillets with cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut fish in 1-inch pieces removing bones.
- Peel and slice onion.
- Separate slices into rings.
- Arrange herring and onion rings in alternate layers in sterilized jars.
- Cover with pickling solution and cap.
- Refrigerate at least 3 days before serving.
- The herring will keep up to 3 weeks refrigerated.
Of all the pickled herring recipes, this one is the best. The sugar gives the brine an even balance; it does not taste salty or sour.Just like my late mother used to make it. Thank You!
One of my ex-mothers-in-law – my Israeli ex-mother-in-law – used to make this, and make an even bigger deal about how long it took her to make it, but now I see that though yes there’s some time between the making and the eating, it’s incredibly simple and easy to make. I made this yesterday, so I’ll have to wait a few days before I can report back on it. But for the moment, the simplicity and clarity of the instructions – and for the demystifying of this recipe – five stars, without a doubt!
Rita, this is the most wonderful recipe for Pickled herring. I just love this stuff, and could eat it constantly. I am always purchasing the store-bought kind, but not anymore, I will be making my own from now on, this is so good!.....There is just no way that this will be in my fridge for 3 weeks (mabey 3 days!)...Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, I will be making this again and again, I love it!.....Kitten :)