A polish recipe. My Mom makes for Cristmas Eve. Just be sure to change the water while soaking. On New Years Eve after the toast it is Good Luck to have a bit of Herring.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak the fillets in a bowl of cold water in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours.
- 2Change water twice.
- 3To make the pickling solution, combine water, vinegar, seasonings and sugar in a saucepan; bring to a boil.
- 4Stir to dissolve sugar; let cool.
- 5Rinse the fillets with cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- 6Cut fish in 1-inch pieces removing bones.
- 7Peel and slice onion.
- 8Separate slices into rings.
- 9Arrange herring and onion rings in alternate layers in sterilized jars.
- 10Cover with pickling solution and cap.
- 11Refrigerate at least 3 days before serving.
- 12The herring will keep up to 3 weeks refrigerated.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pickled Herring
Serving Size: 1 (1451 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 893.4
- Calories from Fat 370
- Total Fat 41.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 272.1 mg
- Sodium 416.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 36.0 g
- Protein 82.2 g