From the Wisconsin Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak herring in cold water overnight, drain and remove entrails (reserve the milt).
- 2Cut off the heads; run knife down center of backs and remove skin, working toward the tale.
- 3Scrape fillets from backbones without breaking, remove all bones.
- 4In a crock, place alternating layers of herring fillets, onion, lemon, pieces of bay leaf, mustard seed and peppercorns.
- 5Boil water, vinegar and sugar together until sugar is dissolved; cool.
- 6Mash milt and add enough vinegar mixture to thin; strain, add remaining vinegar mixture and pour over herring in crock.
- 7Cover crock and set in refrigerator for 4 to 6 days.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pickled Herring
Serving Size: 1 (1498 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 457.7
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 51.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 103.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 30.0 g
- Sugars 26.5 g
- Protein 14.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: