Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 hrs
From the Wisconsin Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- Soak herring in cold water overnight, drain and remove entrails (reserve the milt).
- Cut off the heads; run knife down center of backs and remove skin, working toward the tale.
- Scrape fillets from backbones without breaking, remove all bones.
- In a crock, place alternating layers of herring fillets, onion, lemon, pieces of bay leaf, mustard seed and peppercorns.
- Boil water, vinegar and sugar together until sugar is dissolved; cool.
- Mash milt and add enough vinegar mixture to thin; strain, add remaining vinegar mixture and pour over herring in crock.
- Cover crock and set in refrigerator for 4 to 6 days.