- 3 -4 large salted herrings
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 10 whole cloves
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean herring and soak in cold water in the refrigerator about 12 hours, changing water at least twice.
- Cut herring diagonally into 1-inch pieces.
- Boil vinegar and sugar together, then cool.
- Mix crushed bay leaf, allspice, mustard seeds and whole cloves.
- In a glass jar, arrange some of the spice mixture, herring pieces, onion and carrot; continue in layers.
- Pour the cooled vinegar mixture over the layers, cover, and refrigerate at least 12 hours.