Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Martha Stewart Living. These are sweet and nicely spiced.
Make and share this Pickled Green Tomatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 3 lbs green tomatoes, cut into 1-inch wedges or left whole if small (about 9 medium)
- 3 -6 garlic cloves
- 3 -6 small red chilies
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 4 cups cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons whole allspice
- In a large bowl, combine onion, bell pepper, and tomatoes.
- Pack mixture into 3 (1-quart) or 6 (1-pint) canning jars. Place a garlic clove and a red chili in each jar, and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, salt, vinegar, mustard seeds, cloves, celery seeds, and allspice. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; stir until sugar dissolves.
- Pour mixture over produce, leaving a 1/2-inch space at the top of each jar.
- Wipe rims of excess; screw on lids.
- Bring a large stock pot of water to a boil. Using canning tongs, gently place jars in boiling water, making sure the water covers the jars (if not, add additional water to cover).
- Let jars sit in gently simmering water for 10 minutes.
- Remove; let cool slightly.
- Check seal by pressing in center of lid. If it doesn't pop back, it is properly sealed. If it does, return jars to water for 10 more minutes.
- Let sealed jars cool completely.
- Let pickled tomatoes stand until flavors have melded, at least 2 weeks. Store unopened jars in a cool, dark place up to 6 months. Once opened, jars will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.