From Martha Stewart Living. These are sweet and nicely spiced.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 3 lbs green tomatoes, cut into 1-inch wedges or left whole if small (about 9 medium)
- 3 -6 garlic cloves
- 3 -6 small red chilies
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 4 cups cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons whole allspice
- 1In a large bowl, combine onion, bell pepper, and tomatoes.
- 2Pack mixture into 3 (1-quart) or 6 (1-pint) canning jars. Place a garlic clove and a red chili in each jar, and set aside.
- 3In a large saucepan, combine sugar, salt, vinegar, mustard seeds, cloves, celery seeds, and allspice. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; stir until sugar dissolves.
- 4Pour mixture over produce, leaving a 1/2-inch space at the top of each jar.
- 5Wipe rims of excess; screw on lids.
- 6Bring a large stock pot of water to a boil. Using canning tongs, gently place jars in boiling water, making sure the water covers the jars (if not, add additional water to cover).
- 7Let jars sit in gently simmering water for 10 minutes.
- 8Remove; let cool slightly.
- 9Check seal by pressing in center of lid. If it doesn't pop back, it is properly sealed. If it does, return jars to water for 10 more minutes.
- 10Let sealed jars cool completely.
- 11Let pickled tomatoes stand until flavors have melded, at least 2 weeks. Store unopened jars in a cool, dark place up to 6 months. Once opened, jars will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pickled Green Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (3347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 511.2
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2368.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 119.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 112.3 g
- Protein 4.2 g